DR. VENU GOPAL
Chairman, Cardiac Sciences and HOD, Cardiothoracic
An eminent teacher, senior cardiac surgeon Dr. Venugopal Ram Rao has a vast experience of 31 years in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. He has done more than 5000 successful cardiac surgeries so far. He is a pioneer in beating heart and awake coronary artery bypass graft surgeries. He is known not only for Adult but also for Paediatric Surgical programs. His team is known for many innovative and complex cardiac surgeries.
Few of the many innovative surgeries performed by him
• Mitral Valve Replacement in pregnancy (Perinatology September, 1997).
• Awake CABG- first such surgery in the government setup in the country- performed in September, 2002.
• Awake Pericardiectomy.
• Awake CABG + Aorto-bifemoral Grafting.
• Awake IntraCardiac repair in Dextrocardia with VSD and partial AV canal defect.
• Novel approach using Supraclavicular approach for treating Dysphagia Lusoria.
• • Offpump CABG surgery in Dextrocardia with Kartageners syndrome. 1st such surgery in the country and 2nd in the world.
• TOF repair with Morgagni hernia, 1st successful surgery in the world.
• Aberrant right subclavian artery treated in simple way and published in European Journal for its uniqueness and simplicity of treating.
• Received Karnataka Rajyothsava Award in medicine category by Banashankari 1st stage ward Bruhath Bangalore Mahanagara Palike.
• Received Aryabhatta International Award.
• Received Kempe Gowda award for services rendered in medical field.
• Awarded at various public and civic forums for contributions in the field of cardiac sciences.
• Apart from surgical work, trained more than 60 cardiac surgeons.
• M.Ch. & DNB examiner in Cardiacthroracic and Vascular Surgery in various prestigious institutes in the country.
• Medical Council India Inspector for starting of CTVS department and M.Ch courses at various colleges.
• Published, presented and chaired for various papers in national & international conferences and workshops.
• Former Vice President of Indian College of Cardiology.
• Fellow of Indian association of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery.
• Fellow of Indian College of Cardiology.