As women are wired differently from men, their health tips are somewhat varied. For example, women need more calcium than men. Here are some top tips:
- Eat healthy – More: fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, high-fibre foods and low-fat dairy products. Avoid: processed foods and beverages. Curb: sugar, salt and fat.
- Avoid calcium supplements It’s best to boost calcium intake via food sources since the body cannot properly absorb synthetic forms of calcium. Excess synthetic calcium raises the risks of kidney stones and heart disease.
- Exercise regularly Exercise keeps the entire body, including your heart, healthy. At least 30 minutes, 5-6 times a week. Walking, swimming, cycling, dancing and aerobics are all fine.
- Eliminate addictions/bad habits Smoking, drinks and drugs are best avoided.
- Stay away from harsh sunlight Besides damaging your skin, it raises skin cancer risks.
- Stop excessive beauty treatments Overexposure to bleach and other chemicals in beauty creams can mar your skin’s softness and texture. Use in moderation.
- Self-awareness of your body Breast cancer cases are rising. But it can be cured if detected early. Look out for unusual changes in the skin, shape, size and firmness of breasts/nipples.
- Shun stress Many ailments can be triggered by stress. Learn how to manage it.
- Sleep well Unlike men, women need at least 8 hours’ sleep. Less sleep and inadequate rest increase vulnerability to ailments.