Health Tips for Women
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Reproductive Medicine
As women are wired differently from men, their health tips are somewhat varied. For example, women need more calcium than men. Here are some top tips:
- Eat healthy: More: fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, high-fibre foods and low-fat dairy products. Avoid: processed foods and beverages. Curb: sugar, salt and fat.
- Avoid calcium supplements: It’s best to boost calcium intake via food sources since the body cannot properly absorb synthetic forms of calcium. Excess synthetic calcium raises the risks of kidney stones and heart disease.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise keeps the entire body, including your heart, healthy. At least 30 minutes, 5-6 times a week. Walking, swimming, cycling, dancing and aerobics are all fine.
- Eliminate addictions/bad habits: Smoking, drinks and drugs are best avoided.
- Stay away from harsh sunlight: Besides damaging your skin, it raises skin cancer risks.
- Stop excessive beauty treatments: Overexposure to bleach and other chemicals in beauty creams can mar your skin’s softness and texture. Use in moderation.
- Be self-aware of your body: Breast cancer cases are rising. But it can be cured if detected early. Look out for unusual changes in the skin, shape, size and firmness of breasts/nipples.
- Shun stress: Many ailments can be triggered by stress. Learn how to manage it.
- Sleep well: Unlike men, women need at least 8 hours’ sleep. Less sleep and inadequate rest increase vulnerability to ailments.