Request a Call Back
The Department of Minimal Access Surgery at Vimhans Nayati offers a broad spectrum of advanced procedures for the effective treatment and management of a variety of ailments including Piles. Commonly known as hemorrhoids, piles are caused by the swelling of veins in the anus and lower rectum. Piles that develop inside the rectum are known as internal haemorrhoids, whereas those that develop around the anus are referred to as external haemorrhoids. More than 10 million people suffer from piles in India, annually. There can be many possible reasons behind it but the exact cause is not known. Piles can be treated effectively with timely medical intervention and healthy lifestyle changes.
Symptoms that might be an indication of Piles
Here are some major signs or symptoms usually associated with Piles:
External Haemorrhoid – These develop on the skin surrounding the anus and are marked by symptoms like
- Itching, burning sensation or irritation in the anal area
- Persistent pain or discomfort
- Swelling in the affected area
- Bleeding or traces of blood in stools
- Formation of a hard lump
Internal Haemorrhoid – These develop inside the rectum, you cannot see or feel them and the symptoms are usually experienced while passing stools:
- Strain and irritation
- Traces of blood in the stools.
What causes Piles?
Piles are usually a result of excessive pressure that causes the anal or rectal veins to stretch. This excessive pressure may be due to any of the following:
- Exerting pressure during bowel movements
- Sitting on an Indian toilet for a very long period of time
- Being overweight or obese
- Having chronic diarrhoea or constipation
- Eating a fibre deficit diet
- Lifting heavy objects
Factors that increase the risks of Piles
The risks of developing piles increase with advancing age as ageing can cause the veins in your anus and rectum to become weak and stretch. Being pregnant also increases the risks of developing piles.
Diagnostic procedures offered at Vimhans Nayati
State of the art diagnostic procedures offered at Vimhans Nayati include the following:
- Physical and Clinical examination by Surgeon
- Visual examination using special equipment like an anoscope, proctoscope or sigmoidoscope
- Colonoscopy, to examine the entire colon to check for any further abnormalities
Comprehensive treatment options offered at Vimhans Nayati
Our team of experts at Vimhans Nayati offer a wide range of treatment options for the treatment of piles. These include:
- Medications – Medicines are given to treat mild symptoms and discomfort. These include oral tablets as well as over the counter creams and suppositories that help to alleviate the pain and itching
- Surgeries – These include procedures like Haemorrhoid removal (haemorrhoidectomy) and Haemorrhoid stapling. The former aims at removing the excess tissues that are responsible for the bleeding, whereas the former aims at blocking the flow of blood towards haemorrhoidal tissue
- External haemorrhoid thrombectomy – The procedure is performed in case of clot formation or thrombosis and involves the removal of the haemorrhoid. Doctors usually recommend the procedure within 72 hours of developing the clot
- Minimal Access Surgeries or MAS – These include procedures like rubber band ligation, sclerotherapy and coagulation
Senoir Consultant - MAS Bariatric and GI Surgery
Dr. Saurabh K Goyal
Dr. Saurabh Goyal has an experience of over 10 years and specializes in General, GI, Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery.
- MBBS from R.N.T. Medical College, Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- MS from S.P. Medical College, Bikaner, Rajasthan.
- Associate Consultant at Max Smart Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi.
- Consultant, Rockland Hospital, New Delhi.
- Senior Resident, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Registered with Delhi Medical Council and Rajasthan Medical Council.
Senior Consultant - General Surgery
Dr. Amar Nath Srivastava
MBBS, MS, FELLOWSHIP OF INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF SURGEON (FICS)
A noted figure in the field of General Surgery, Dr Amar Nath Srivastava has over two decades of experience with an impeccable track record. He is widely recognised for his expertise in all the modalities of General Surgery including Anorectal, Breast & Laproscopic Surgery
- Consultant, Endoscopic Urology & Laproscopic Surgery at RG Stone Urological Research Centre
- Consultant, Trauma & Critical Care at Sehgal Neurological Research Centre, New Delhi.
- Senior Consultant General & Laproscopic Surgeon at Sehgal Nursing Home, New Delhi.
- Senior Consultant Surgeon (General & Laproscopic Surgery) at Sanjeevan Hospital, New Delhi.
- Senior Consultant Surgeon (General & Laproscopic Surgery) at Banarasidas Chandiwala Hospital, New Delhi.
- Visiting Consultant Surgeon at Fortis C-Doc Hospital, New Delhi.